Originally known as Brighton Ladies Swimming Club, BDSC was founded on 2nd December 1891 by thirteen women who trained at 25 Old Steine. The club moved to Brills Bath in Pool Valley and hosted their first race meet in March 1892.
In 1893, a lease costing 10/6d. (52p) p.a. was taken on 86 Kings Road Arches. The club later moved their headquarters to 124 Kings Road Arches.
In its early days, water polo formed a major part of the club's activities. In 1902, the first water polo match was played against Swansea Ladies, and in 1906 the Junior Water Polo Section was established. During the 1950s, the water polo team was very successful, winning the Grose Cup twice and competed internationally in Gouda, the Netherlands.
The club enjoyed Olympic representation in London's 1948 games when member Jean Caplin represented Great Britain in the 200m breaststroke. She was coached by the club's own Maudie Ottaway.
During the 1960s, under the coaching of Maudie Ottaway, the club dominated county swimming, winning all team events for four consecutive years. In 1961, four junior swimmers, representing Fitzherbert School, won the School Girls Team Championships of England.
In the 1970s, the club moved once again to their current home, the Prince Regent Swimming Complex and, on 1st October 1980 the club was reconstituted to be known as Brighton Dolphin Swimming Club, for the first time accepting all swimmers regardless of gender.
History of the club
Members supporting our swimmers during a gala (c. 1960s)
Club polo team, 1927
In the club's early days, water polo was a major part of its activities
Beryl Sadler, Avon Hodges, Jackie Pannell
Mary Glyde, Denise Walder, Jill Tyler
Glenis Hulme, Janet Gilbey, Jill Tyler, Joan White