History

Originally known as Brighton Ladies Swimming Club, the Club was
founded on December 2nd 1891 by thirteen ladies who met at 25 Old Steine,
Brighton.Headquarters for the new Club were established at Brills Baths which was then on
the site of the present ABC Cinema in Pool Valley. The first race meeting was at the pool
in March 1892.

Headquarters for the new Club were established at Brills Baths which was then on the
site of the present ABC Cinema in Pool Valley. The first race meeting was at the pool in
March 1892.

In 1893, a lease at 10/6d. (52p) p.a. was taken on 86 Kings Road Arches, the Club later
moved their Headquarters to 124 Kings Road Arches.

Before the turn of the century the Club took part in exchange visits with Clubs in
Eastbourne, Worthing, Burgess Hill and Tunbridge Wells.

In 1902 the first water polo match was played against Swansea Ladies. The junior
section was formed in 1906.

The Club remained at Kings Road Arches until the out break of World War II
when the site was commandeered by the military. Unfortunately none of the Club’s
records were recovered.

In 1948 Jean Caplin, whose coach was Maudie Ottaway (pictured, far left, twenty years
earlier), was selected from the Club to represent Great Britain at the Olympics.

histry1.jpg (27180 bytes)During this period the Club’s water polo team were very successful,
winning the Grose Cup twice and travelling in 1953 to Gouda, Holland for competition.

Until 1953 the Club held joint training evenings with Brighton Swimming Club and later
started two evenings a week on their own whilst still combining with B.S.C. to form a
strong team for Galas.

During the 1960’s the Club dominated County swimming winning all team events for four
consecutive years. In 1961 four Club swimmers, representing Fitzherbert School, won the
Schoolgirls Team Championships of England.

 

Back row left to right. Vicky Venus,Unknown, Lucy Hall.

Middle Row (L->R) Jo Goll,Maudie Holman,Kath Boxall

Front row Vera Pither,Adie Hudson

 

Back row left to right. Beryl Sadler, Avon Hodges, Jackie Pannell

Front row left to right. Mary Glyde,Denise Walder, Jill Tyler

 

left to right. Glenis Hulme, Janet Gilbey, Jill Tyler, Joan White

On October 1st 1980 the Club was reconstituted to be known as the Brighton Dolphin
Swimming Club and for the first time accepted swimmers of both sexes.

The Centenary was celebrated in 1991 with a Dinner for Seniors and an outing for
Juniors.

Brighton Dolphin Swimming Club now has teaching and training groups for beginners of
all ages, diving, synchronized swimming, competitions and Masters swimming.